Thursday, May 31, 2012

Because its not all about me...

I watched a video this morning about the increased risks of being obese and pregnant. It's been a topic of conversation around here lately because we're starting to think about expanding our family. But another aspect I hadn't thought about is the implications that go beyond pregnancy and birth. There is good research to indicate that my children have an increased risk of obesity growing up. I can't say how very sad that made me. But on the flip side, it also made me that much more determined. Growing up, fast food was a rarity at our house. My parents stressed the importance of sitting down as a family and I remember my father always wanting to make sure there was a green vegetable on the table. I had every advantage toward creating healthy eating habits. It was in college that I really veered off the course and stayed there after I got married. I'm an emotional eater, and the first couple years of marriage were very tough for us. I gained 50 pounds the first 2 years we were married. Yikes. I dealt with depression a couple years later and that didn't help either. But it's no longer about me. It's about my kids too, and not just me being around for them. I don't want them to be here. Ever. I want to be be able not only to talk to them about a healthy lifestyle, but to show them how hard it is to came back from an unhealthy place...and that it's entirely possible. It would break my heart to watch my children struggle with the same emotions, challenges, body image and struggles that I have. I don't want my children to desire to be thin to please others or society. I want them to desire to be healthy and strong and for exercise to be a matter of course. I hope to do it without creating negativity about weight or body image for them. It's a tall order and the weight of the responsibility feels that much heavier. It must be done by example. It must be done, period.

2 comments:

  1. Your at a good place! It's so hard to lose weight, I'm definitely struggling to maintain a good diet and eating habits. One of my boys is really skinny (my family is made that way), but he has recently started talking about not wanting to eat candy because it could make him fat and maybe cutting out pizza (his favorite food) because it has fat in it. This makes me sad and worried. After a couple of talks, he's come back from the dark side, but I have a feeling it's going to be a constant battle. Curse those stupid healthy choices segments on little kids shows. KIDS shouldn't think about it! The parents should and they should supply a choice of healthy and fun foods. I have a feeling that pointing out that the children need to make healthy choices is making them over vigilant and helping them develop eating disorders. You're awesome, Emily, and totally on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo...Good point Theresa. I didn't even think of that. I need to be more careful about what I say to teach them properly...

    ReplyDelete